Asphalt / Blacktop Maintenance for Rockford
If you are like most people, you don’t spend a great deal of time thinking about asphalt, but it plays such an integral role in getting us from point A to point B quickly, safely and efficiently. When there’s a problem with the asphalt / blacktop on your commercial property, you can’t afford to put it on the back burner. We offer a variety of asphalt services that will keep your asphalt surface in optimal condition, including:
Blacktop sealcoating, also known as asphalt sealcoating, is a protective process used to extend the life and improve the appearance of asphalt surfaces, such as driveways, parking lots, and roadways. It involves applying a specially formulated sealant to the surface of the asphalt, creating a protective barrier against the damaging effects of weather, UV rays, oil spills, and general wear and tear. Here's a more detailed description of the process:
- Preparation: Before sealcoating, the surface is thoroughly cleaned to remove dirt, debris, and any loose particles. This ensures proper adhesion of the sealant.
- Crack Sealing: If there are any cracks or gaps in the asphalt, they are filled with a crack filler to prevent water infiltration and further deterioration.
- Sealant Application: A professional-grade sealant is applied to the clean and prepared asphalt surface. This sealant is usually a mixture of asphalt emulsion, water, mineral fillers, and additives. The sealant is applied using specialized equipment like spray systems or squeegees, resulting in an even and consistent coating.
- Protection and Enhancement: The sealant forms a protective layer over the asphalt, shielding it from harmful elements like UV rays, rain, snow, and oil spills. It prevents water penetration, which can lead to cracks and deterioration, and it also enhances the appearance of the asphalt by giving it a fresh, dark appearance.
- Drying and Curing: The sealant needs time to dry and cure. This typically takes at least 24 to 48 hours, depending on factors like temperature and humidity. During this time, the sealant bonds with the asphalt surface to provide its protective properties.
- Longevity and Maintenance: Properly applied sealcoating can extend the life of the asphalt surface by several years. However, it's important to note that sealcoating is not a permanent solution, and it should be reapplied every few years to maintain its effectiveness.
Benefits of Blacktop Sealcoating:
- Protection: Sealcoating acts as a barrier against elements that can degrade asphalt, such as sunlight, water, and chemicals.
- Prevents Cracks: By sealing small cracks and gaps, sealcoating prevents them from expanding and becoming larger issues.
- Enhanced Appearance: Sealcoating gives the asphalt a dark and smooth appearance, improving the overall aesthetics.
- Cost-Effective: Sealcoating is a cost-effective way to extend the lifespan of asphalt surfaces, reducing the need for more expensive repairs or replacements.
- Ease of Maintenance: The smooth surface created by sealcoating makes it easier to clean and maintain.
Overall, blacktop sealcoating is an essential maintenance practice that helps protect and prolong the life of asphalt surfaces while also enhancing their visual appeal. It's recommended to hire professionals to perform sealcoating to ensure proper application and optimal results.
Asphalt sealcoating: The best way to protect your asphalt parking lot is with a sealer. A sealer acts as a layer of protection against damage caused by heavy traffic, oil and grease spills, and the elements.
Line painting: Pavement lines go a long way in directing traffic and providing motorists with a space to park. If the lines on your asphalt surface are fading, then you’ll want to repaint them to ensure you are providing your customers with a safe place to park.
Common Asphalt Problems
While asphalt is extremely durable and capable of withstanding heavy traffic, it is still susceptible to damage. Here are a few problems that you might face:
- Alligator cracking: This type of cracking is called alligator cracking because it resembles alligator scales. It is typically due to structural failure, such as weakness in the sub-grade.
- Block cracking: This type of cracking is called block cracking because the cracks form block shapes. It is generally a result of changing temperatures, which causes the asphalt pavement to shrink.
- Linear cracking: Linear cracks are cracks that run parallel to the pavement’s center line. It is typically the result of poor joint construction.
- Edge cracking: These types cracks form along the edge of a street or parking lot and are usually a result of heavy vegetation, such as wet leaves.
- Potholes: Potholes can form anywhere on the road’s surface and are a result of moisture infiltration.
Improve the Appearance of Your Parking Lot
If you are a business owner or commercial property manager, it is critical to the success of your business to make a great first impression, and your parking lot is the first thing people see when they pull up to your business. When your parking lot is covered in stains, cracks and potholes, you are sending the wrong message. Maintaining the appearance of your asphalt will create a welcoming atmosphere for prospective customers.
Reliable Asphalt Repairs
You can count on us to solve whatever asphalt problem you have on your hands. With decades of experience, we have the skill and technical ability necessary to make your asphalt look like new again. If you are in the Roscoe area and are interested in scheduling an appointment with a member of our seasoned staff, then we encourage you to give us a call today. We will gladly answer any questions that you may have and offer you a quote. We look forward to serving you.
If you would like to know more about us or have any questions about our paving services, please give us a call or send us an email. We can’t wait to hear from you!